By Mrs. Wright, HSMA School Counselor
Once again we’re off to a great school year! As the school counselor of Harry Stone, I am concerned about your child’s social and emotional well being, as well as academic success. It is important to remember that when school personnel and parents work together, it is a winning combination for children. Here are the Benefits of Parent Involvement taken from research by noted authorities in the area of Parent Involvement, Joyce Epstein and Anne Henderson.
- More positive attitudes toward school.
- Higher achievements in reading, math, etc.
- Higher quality and more grade-appropriate homework.
- Completion of more homework.
- Observing more similarities between the family and the school.
- Receiving ideas from school on how to help their children.
- Learning more about educational programs and how the school works.
- Becoming more supportive of their children and the school.
- Becoming more confident about ways to help their children learn.
- Giving more positive views of teachers and the school.
For teachers & schools
- Improved teacher morale.
- Parent’s higher ratings of teachers.
- Teachers’ rating of parents as more helpful.
- Improved student achievement.
- Parent support of schools and bond issues.
All children deserve to be winners, and together, we can help this goal to be realized.